Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Jack is Cooking (Baking) Sourdough Bread 10/12

* update *

this loaf is the most perfect loaf of bread i have made!
hopefully i will be able to repeat it!


----------------------------------------------------------------------


Well hello Internet!

Tonight I baked a new loaf of bread, and I think this is the best one
yet! I've carefully recorded everything I did this time so if I can
repeat this and get exactly the same results I'll know I've got it!



Here's what I did this time

I took 1 1/2 cups starter and mixed it with 3 cups of water and 4 cups of flour

I let it sit for 7 hours

Then I removed 1 1/2 cups of the sponge and put it back in my starter jar for the next loaf

To the sponge I added half a cup of olive oil and one tablespoon of salt.  Then I added between 2 and 3 cups of flour - until the dough was just right - that is until it was just past sticky. I believe this is the most important part, and what I have been failing to achieve in the past.

So I let the dough autolyze for about 15 minutes before shaping the loaf. Then I let it rise for 2 hours

I baked it in the oven for 15 minutes at 450 degrees, and then 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment